Links to  other sites

Images and content of this site may be subject to Copyright.
Please e-mail if you would like further information

Vigilance BM76

Limited Edition Prints Pilgrim BM45 Brixham Heritage  Sailing Trawlers Archive Contact us by e-mail

This site is kindly sponsored by

 NetEnergy Internet Limited.

Brixham Heritage Museum

The last
Grimsby Sail Trawler




May 29, 1968
Mr. Carlton M. Rogers

3485 Monterey Road

San Marino, California 91108

RE: Yacht TE AMO USCH 284 436 - 78'6" Auxiliary Ketch

Dear Mr. Rogers:

Following is requested resume of history, particulars and reconstruc­tion of Yacht "Te Amo".

Yacht is 786" Auxiliary Diesel Ketch, built in 1925, by J. W. Upham in Brixham, England, as a commercial fishing trawler "Terpsichore". The boat was fished commercially for several years and name changed to "Mannequin". In 1946 the novelist A. W. Mason purchased the boat and converted her to a yacht, and changed the name to "Muriel Stephens". Yacht was sailed to Pacific Coast of United States, after an extended trip to Capetown, South Africa. Yacht sailed Pacific Coast for some time and was purchased by Mr. Rogers, and taken to San Pedro Harbor, California.

In 1960, Mr. Rogers requested that I inspect the vessel to determine general condition of the boat and recommend repairs necessary to re­place rotted and deteriorated areas of the hull and rigging. The boat hauled at Fellows & Stewart Shipyard, Terminal Island, in late 1960, and the following work accomplished.

Several bottom planks were replaced, port and starboard sides. Rudder dropped out of boat and new rudder pintle bolt fabricated and installed. Rudder was re­built, rudder port rebuilt, and rudder reinstalled. Rotted sections were removed and new sections of stern rim and blocking inside renewed. New propeller shaft was installed and prop shaft strut was refastened. Bobstay fitting was renewed. Considerable caulking was done on bottom seams and butts. All thru hulls were pulled out of hull and renovated or replaced. Main engine was completely overhauled. This engine was 60 HP Ailsa Craig, of unknown age.

During 1961 almost all of the topside planking was renewed while yacht was in slip at Terminal Island. Rotted areas in frames, shelf, clamp and blocking, exposed when planking was removed, were repaired or re­newed, as found necessary. New covering boards, new bulwarks and bulwark stanchions, new cap rails were installed. Deteriorated mizzen mast was removed and new mizzen mast and rigging installed. Deteriora­ted rigging on mainmast was renewed. Interior or yacht was gutted pre­paratory to installation of new interior arrangements.

During 1962-63 the following work was accomplished.All ballast was removed from boat and bilges cleaned and painted throughout. Ballast was cleaned and reinstalled. Installation of interior joiner work commenced. New galley, including stove and oven, and refrigerator were installed. New water tanks were installed to replace deteriorated tanks. Toilets, basins and piping were renewed. Bowsprit was shortened and rebuilt and rigging changed. Onan generator was installed.

During 1963-64 the following work was accomplished. Joinery work below deck was completed. Hot water heater, water pressure systems and auxiliary machinery was installed. New bank of 112 volt heavy duty batteries were installed. Electric wiring throughout was repaired or replaced as found necessary. Dinghies and chocks were installed. Dacron sails added to replace original flax and to suit rig changes. Several more deteriorated bottom planks were renewed while boat was hauled out at San Pedro Boat Works and several frames repaired in way of the new planks. Some bottom fastenings were replaced and some caulking done.

During 1964-66 the following work was accomplished. Old Ailsa Craig engine was replaced with 1966 Caterpillar D333A Turbo charged diesel with 2.95:1 reduction gear, driving a 18"